Public application template
This part is answered in public on your user page. Please copy its source (edit tab) and then fill. Delete any examples and annotations (this markup) afterwards. Same for questions that do not apply to your situation.
A: An introduction
- Please describe yourself in three sentences, one of them regarding your current studies.
- My name is Sudhir Kumar Suman.I am a second year Btech student from the department of Electrical Engineering at IIT Bombay.I am from India so Hindi is my mother tongue,but all my studies are in English so I know it as well.I have a great interest in Computer Science so in the beginning of every semester I use to take extra course from computer science department
- Why do you want to participate in the Google Summer of Code? What do you hope to gain by doing so?
- I have done quite a lot of programming but most of them was short projects, testing a new language, creating some small program,developing algorithm for small problem or similar.I want to do some big project the one big project I did was related to collision of n objects.I really enjoyed that project and I want to do something similar again.I want to participate in the Google Summer of Code because I will learn a lot from it and it will provide me an opportunity to work on big project and to develop new things for the community.
- Please also describe your previous experience with the GSoC, if any.
- First time I hear about GSoC was last winter(2017) so I have no experience related to it.
- Why are you choosing Octave?
- I am using Octave from last 6 months and to complete my assignment I often take hep of Octave.I have a great interest in Programming and I also know much more about the the list of function which has not been implemented in signal package of Octave.Because of all these things I choose Octave.
- Please state the (unique and identical where possible) nick you use on IRC and any other communication channel related to Octave. We really want unique nicks. You might want to bold it.
- Which time zone do you live in? Will that change over GSoC duration?
- The time zone I live and work in is UTC +5:30 and it will stay so for the duration of the project
- Please state the timeframe (in UTC+0) when you feel most comfortable working during GSoC. Where are your time buffers?
- With all timeframes in UTC+0 I usually work between 4.00 to 16.00 but I have no problem working later, or even a bit earlier, if required.
E: Coding experience
This part is one of the more important ones in your application. You are allowed to be as verbose as you want, as long as you stay on topic ;-)
- Please describe your experience with C++, Octave or Matlab m-scripts, OpenGL and Qt
- I have a lot of experience with C++.This came mainly from from writing lots of algorithm during my introductory course on programming where I learnt the basics after that programming became my passion.Most of my experience comes from smaller projects.For example converting 12 AM/PM hrs time to military timing,Append and delete English alphabetic letter to the end or beginning of the string,etc.
- I first came across Octave and Matlab for completing and submitting my Machine Learning assignment where I learnt the basics.After that I am using it frequently for ploting and calculation in smaller projects.
- OpenGL and Qt is new to me.
- Please describe your experience with other programming languages.
- Beside C++ I know Python,HTML CSS JAVA SCRIPT,VHDL
- Please describe your experience with being in a development team. Do you have experience working with open source or free projects?
- I have a little experience with being in a development team as most of my programming has been personal projects though this is something I really would like to do. On any larger project you are several people working together and I want to learn more about how I function in such situations.
- Please describe the biggest project you have written code for and what you learned by doing so. Also, describe your role in that project over time.
- It was not a big project I only have done small small project till now.The project was something related to newtonian physics.There was n balls of unit mass and radius positioned on a straight line at specified positions.They were free to move along the line and their initial velocities were also given. Assuming that there were no friction and that every collisions are elastic, i.e. when balls collide their velocities just get exchanged. As one can see that there will be some number of collisions after which the balls will simply escape to infinity on either side of the line.We just need to find out the position and velocities of the balls at the time just after last collision taking the initial positions and velocities of every solids as input.The project was not in group This was my own project so I did everything from beginning to end.Only to use something new I took help from my seniors.I learnt a lot from it.The most important things was the debugging parts and to think of different different possible cases where my code will not give the desired output.The use of multiple function in same code and how to use one function in creating other function all were really challenging part of that project.I have done many small project but this one was really challenging.
- Please state the commits and patches you already contributed to Octave. This question (one of the most important parts by the way) is the only part of your application our wiki admins will edit for you even after the application deadline. Code sometimes speaks louder than many words do.
- Fixed some part of the bug #51333  and currently working on it to implement all those matrices functions
- Provided the code for the missing function 'rms' from signal package .
- Suggested the logic behind the inaccuracy of sinc function #bug48307 provided code for implementing sine in tailor series and currently re-writting the sinc function without using the inbuit sine function to improve its accuracy
F: Feeling fine
- Please describe (in short) your experience with the following tools: We only use this question to determine where you need guidance, not for rating! We by no means expect you to be familiar with all of these and you'll won't necessarily need them while working with us.
- IRC and mailing lists
- I haven't used IRC so I don't know about it but I am using mailing list and is comfortable with it.
- Mercurial or other source code management systems
- I use to program in codeblocks and upload that code in my google drive.Now I am using github for code management and I don't have idea about Mercurial.
- Mediawiki or other wiki software
- I have no experience with Mediawiki.
- make, gcc, gdb or other development tools
- Gcc I have used several times in different projects and I know little bit about it how it work.
- IRC and mailing lists
- What will make you actively stay in our community after this GSoC is over? You can also tell us after applications close and we'll happily try to fulfill :-)
- The code which I will write will be used by the numbers of people they will ask questions and do bug reports I think I will have no problem finding motivation to continue.So obviously I will actively stay in Octave community.
O: Only out of interest
- Did you ever hear about Octave before?
- Yes ,I use it for doing my Machine Learning assignment.
- If so, when and where? How far have you been involved already?
- I heared about octave on Coursera about 6 month ago.
- If not, where would you expect or advise us to do advertising?
- I think octave need little bit of advertisement as very less people know about octave although it is freely availabe.
- What was the first question concerning Octave you could not find an answer to rather quickly? Of course more than one question can be stated. We try to improve based on this each year! Includes learning how to use it, code, website, GSoC application, …
- I was having octave 3.2.4 in my computer it was working fine but by mistake if I enter any wrong command than it automatically close down and all my previous work was getting deleted but now it is fine now I am using Octave 4.2.2.
- Please state the operating system you work with.
- My daily operating system is Windows 10, but I am also dual booting this with Ubuntu 16.04. Both of these I can access freely with no conditions.
- Please estimate an average time per day you will be able to access
- an internet connection
- a computer
- a computer with your progressing work on
- I can access all these at any time.
- Please describe the degree to which you can install new software on computers you have access to.
- Since it is my own computer I have no problem installing new software.
- Please describe how useful criticism looks from your point of view as committing student.
- I am open to all criticism.As I am student I provide me an opportunity to improve myself and I always take criticism positively to improve myself.
- How autonomous are you when developing:
- I used to divide to divide any problem in parts and write than write code for each part and test it that I am getting desired result from each part and not.After that I use to merge all the parts and this is working very fine with me.It allows me to code faster and helps me a lot in debugging.
- Do you like to discuss changes intensively and not start coding until you know what you want to do?
- Yes,it is really very important for any one what he have to do.So first I like to understand it very carefully and than start coding.My principle is to first understand the problem statement and than strat coding.
- Do you like to code a proof of concept to 'see how it turns out', modifying that and taking the risk of having work thrown away if it doesn't match what the project or original proponent had in mind?
- For my own benefit,that my code is working well or not I use to write correctness of the code.Use to think every possible cases and than checking the code is working fine or not.
Y: Your task
- Did you select a task from our list of proposals and ideas?
- Yes,I have selected a task from the given list of proposal.
- If yes, what task did you choose? Please describe what part of it you especially want to focus on if you can already provide this information. Please also wiki-link the page for your elaborated proposal here.
- I want to work on "MAKE SPECFUNS SPECIAL AGAIN".I have gone through the bugs on savannah and started working on it.At first I am trying to implement the code for the "sinc" function and trying to improve its accuracy.I am pretty sure that I will surely make all the special function special again.
- Please provide a rough estimated timeline for your work on the task. This should include the GSoC midterms and personal commitments like exams or vacation ("non-coding time"). If possible, include two or three milestones you expect.
- You can see my project proposal here