A: An introduction
Q. Please describe yourself in three sentences, one of them regarding your current studies.
A. My name is Brijesh Vora. I am from Gujarat, India. I have completed the 2nd year of my computer science degree in IIT TIRUPATI.
Q. Which languages do you speak?
A. English, Hindi, Gujarati
Q. What's your overall background? The general field you work in or are studying, e.g. computer science, physics, artificial intelligence, control theory...
A. My major is in computer science and I am interested in maths and programming.
Q. Why do you want to participate in the Google Summer of Code? What do you hope to gain by doing so?
A. I want to contribute to open source organizations and get some experience with working them. So, GSoC seamed perfect to me. Also, If I once start contributing to open source then I will become a regular contributor.
Q.Please also describe your previous experience with the GSoC, if any. Includes any community-bonding, mentor experience or application, not necessarily accepted. We use this subquestion to identify which students are unfamiliar with how the program goes, providing further support. It has no negative impact on your rating!
A. I applied for GSoC in my first year and I got rejected as I, unfortunately, selected the difficult project which was beyond my scope, but that just gave me inspiration to not look back and not be afraid of any failure. This time I am fully ready, I know my weakness and strength and ready to give up whatever it takes to achieve my goal.
Q. Why are you choosing Octave? A. I love mathematics and programming so Octave seemed perfect for me to simultaneously work on maths and programming and that too in a big organization like this. It's a dream come true.
- Please state the (unique and identical where possible) nick you use on IRC and any other communication channel related to Octave. We really want unique nicks. You might want to bold it.
Ans. IRC Nickname- vorabrijesh but I generally reply faster to mail and I am really new to IRC but I will get hang of it.
- Which time zone do you live in? Will, that change over GSoC duration? Perhaps DST adjustment or a relocation. Note that both UTC and GMT are not aware of daylight saving time! Please state UTC+x or -x.
Ans. I live in India. UTC+5.30
E: Coding experience
This part is one of the more important ones in your application. You are allowed to be as verbose as you want, as long as you stay on topic ;-)
- Please describe your experience with C++, Octave or Matlab m-scripts, OpenGL and Qt.
Ans. I am well versed with C++ and OOP concepts and doing that for 2 years, and currently learning m-scripts and Qt.
- Please describe your experience with other programming languages.
Ans. I also know Python and Java and have been practicing for 1 year
- Please describe your experience with being in a development team. Do you have experience working with open source or free projects?
Ans. I am new to open source but I started opening PR in the octave, sympy and Godot and seeing what kind of issues are there and commenting about them. https://github.com/vorabrijesh
- Please describe the biggest project you have written code for and what you learned by doing so. Also, describe your role in that project over time.
Ans. I and my friend are currently developing our own assembler in c++ for the basic MIPS instruction set. It will cover some feature which is lacking in MIPS ISA like case insensitive code and much more.
- Please state the commits and patches you already contributed to Octave. This question (one of the most important parts by the way) is the only part of your application our wiki admins will edit for you even after the application deadline. Code sometimes speaks louder than many words do.
Ans. I have started to understand m-scripting and will soon update with patches and bugs.
F: Feeling fine
- Please describe (in short) your experience with the following tools: We only use this question to determine where you need guidance, not for rating! We by no means expect you to be familiar with all of these and you won't necessarily need all of them while working with us.
- IRC and mailing lists
- Ans. I have used IRC but honestly, I didn't like much. I reply fastest through the mail.
- Mercurial or other source code management systems
- Ans. I have used git and GitHub and Mercurial is also pretty easy to learn.
- make, gcc, gdb or other development tools
- Ans. I have used gcc and gdb so much because of competitive programming which I also like. I generally code sublime text editor. I am familiar with git and Github pull and push commands. I am new to mercurial but I can learn that. I have also started using the jupyter notebook as it was great. I use Ubuntu and so I also have the familiarity of bash commands.
- What will make you actively stay in our community after this GSoC is over? You can also tell us after applications close and we'll happily try to fulfill :-)
Ans. Octave is used by so many people and having to contribute it is my honor. And I so will actively stay in your community even after GSoC is over and extend my project. It’s not about money but it’s about making a product better and better and making people’s lives easier.
O: Only out of interest
- Did you ever hear about Octave before?
Ans. I was doing one course in coursera and from there I was introduced to octave and learned the basics of octave. And my professor emphasized on learning it.
- If not, where would you expect or advise us to do advertising?
Ans. I would advise you to advertise in youtube and google searches.
- Please state the operating system you work with.
Ans. I have both Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 but I do most of my stuff in Ubuntu.
- Please describe the degree to which you can install new software on computers you have access to.
Ans. I don’t have wifi at my home and I use the 4G network of the mobile operator. They have an average speed of 500kbps.
Y: Your task
- Did you select a task from our list of proposals and ideas?
- If yes, what task did you choose? Please describe what part of it you especially want to focus on if you can already provide this information. Please also wiki-link the page for your elaborated proposal here.
- Please provide a rough estimated timeline for your work on the task. This should include the GSoC midterms and personal commitments like exams or vacation ("non-coding time"). If possible, include two or three milestones you expect.