I am a user, developer, and advocate of GNU Octave. I started using GNU Octave around May 2007 while working on my MSEE. I started submitting bugs and working on Octave in February 2012, mainly to fix some compilation problems I had with the newest version on an older Red Hat Enterprise 5.2 system I use at work. One thing led to another and I am now learning my way around the code base, helping to fix bugs, test, etc.
My main areas of interest within Octave are stability and consistency of user experience, portability, particularly to different versions of GNU/Linux and Unix, and the signal processing and communications packages. My primary development environment is Debian GNU/Linux.
I can be found on #octave as mtmx.
My editor of choice is Vim.
Octave Project Ideas
I always have more ideas for projects I would like to work on than I have time for. Please feel free to contact me about any of these ideas, borrow them, work on them, copy them to the projects page, but let me know as a courtesy and in case I have any other thoughts or partial work that might be useful.
- Update the default oct-file template in edit.m to reflect current best practices and recommended coding style.
- Create a complete Vim environment with User:Rik's syntax highlighting rules, indenting, if-end keyword matching, function block jumping, etc.
- Update pygments syntax highlighting for Octave if needed.
- Apply User:Oheim's custom css for the interval package to the communications package manual, or to the Octave core manual.
- Make a static m-file format/style analyzer, a la pep8, that can help users teach themselves GNU Octave style conventions.
- Adapt Debian packaging to operate on a clean hg clone, add build-deps (bison, flex, gperf), build package from any hg revision
- Can this be used to run an automatic build of a "nightly" package on Launchpad?
- Should any of this be applied to the official Debian packaging?
- Query the terminal size directly from the terminal instead of readline as a fallback. Also allow COLUMNS and LINES to override terminal size.
I work under the following profiles on these development sites. These are all related to work I've done with Octave to some degree.