Jump to navigation Jump to search
A: An introduction
- My name is Abdallah Khaled Elshamy, a student from Egypt. I am a hard-working person who is passionate about his work. I am a third year undergraduate student studying computer and systems engineering at faculty of engineering - Ain Shams University.
- Languages I speak: Arabic (native) and English (upper-intermediate).
- I have a good background in mathematics (ODEs, linear algebra, numerical analysis and calculus), electronic and electric circuits and computer science.
- Google summer of code is an excellent opportunity for a student like me to work with other developers on a sophisticated software that has a lot of users. I hope to become a better and more experienced developer and to hone my soft skills by collaborating with the developers/maintainers of Octave.
- I don't have any previous experience with the GSoC.
- I used octave a lot as an open-source alternative to Matlab. It was extremely helpful for me as a student.Thus, I want to help in enhancing and adding to this important project.
- User name on Savannah and Nick name on IRC: Abdallah_Elshamy
- I live in cairo (UTC+2). my location won't change over GSoC duration.
- I usually split my working hours to regain my focus so I code from 06.00 to 10.00 and from 12.00 to 17.00
E: Coding experience
- I have a good knowledge of C++ and used it in many projects.
- I have been using octave/MATLAB for about two years. I am familiar with some packages like: Control and Signals. I wrote many m-scripts and used Simulink.
- I have a good knowledge of Qt and made two University projects using it.
- I have a good knowledge of Python and a fair knowledge of Java.
- I am comfortable with working with team and worked with many teams in university projects.
- I Worked with a team to make a Verilog model for MIPS processor, an assembler for MIPS, a GUI where user can write assembly code and run it and an automated test for the Verilog model. my role over time was
- Implementing the GUI using Qt.
- Helping in implementing the assembler
- integrating the system.
- I am trying to add the new functions "startsWith" and "endsWith" to octave. I have already submitted a patch and got feedback from the maintainers and waiting for their evaluation after the modifications.