Template:Student application template public
Public application template
This part should be answered in public on your user page. Please copy its source (edit tab) and then fill. DO NOT MAKE CHANGES TO THIS PAGE! Delete any examples and annotations (this markup) afterwards. Same for questions that do not apply to your situation.
- My name is Nader Nabil Mansour, Egyptian student. Hard-worker ,passionate software engineer.Currently i am in my last year at college , studying computer and systems engineering at faculty of engineering - Ain-Shams University.
- Languages I speak:
- Arabic (native) and English (upper-intermediate).
- I have a good background in mathematics (ODEs, linear algebra, numerical analysis and calculus), electronic and electric circuits and computer science(data structure , oop , problem solving skills , Neural Networks basics).
- To contribute in an open-source project , see a large software , work with a team and learn from community , deal with other cultures , all these skills i need to get before graduating , i hope to get best benefit from it.
- I don't have any previous experience with the GSOC.
- After searching and seeing a lot of organizations and projects , i found that octave has some interesting and understandable ideas (projects) that i like to work on , so i decided to work with octave.
- User name on Savannah and Nick name on IRC: nadern96
- I live in Cairo (UTC+2). My location won't change over GSOC duration.
- I usually code around 9.00 to 18.00 and could also try to start earlier for few days.
E: Coding experience
- I have a Strong knowledge of C++ and used it in many projects.
- I have used octave/MATLAB for about two years. I am familiar with some packages like: Control and Signals. I wrote few m-scripts and used Simulink.
- I have a good knowledge of Qt and used it to create many Gui applications (PCI Bus Simulator , Scheduler , Graph Centrality ,Scanner , Parser).
- I like working in a team , i get used to this since the second year in college , i have worked on many projects in college and also some in competitions not in the college , it was a very precious experience and also fun.
- Worked with a team to make a PCI Bus Simulator , we have made two version of this project , Non-Gui version (written in Verilog) and a Gui version using Qt c++ , where user can choose no.of intiators and Targets , no of Transactions , each transaction type: read/write and data phases in every transaction and also ARBITER mode. my role over time was
- Implementing the GUI Version interface using Qt.
- Reporting and documentation of the project.
- integrating the system.
- I have solved a bug of 'strncmp' function , it was a matlab compatibility . I have already submitted a patch and got feedback from the maintainers and waiting for their evaluation after the last modification.
F: Feeling fine
- Please describe (in short) your experience with the following tools: We only use this question to determine where you need guidance, not for rating! We by no means expect you to be familiar with all of these and you won't necessarily need all of them while working with us.
- IRC and mailing lists
- Mercurial or other source code management systems
- Mediawiki or other wiki software
- make, gcc, gdb or other development tools
- What will make you actively stay in our community after this GSoC is over? You can also tell us after applications close and we'll happily try to fulfill :-)
O: Only out of interest
- Did you ever hear about Octave before?
- If so, when and where? How far have you been involved already?
- If not, where would you expect or advise us to do advertising?
- What was the first question concerning Octave you could not find an answer to rather quickly? Of course more than one question can be stated. We try to improve based on this each year! Includes learning how to use it, code, website, GSoC application, …
- Please state the operating system you work with.
- Please estimate an average time per day you will be able to access
- an internet connection
- a computer
- a computer with your progressing work on
- Please describe the degree to which you can install new software on computers you have access to.
- Please describe how useful criticism looks from your point of view as committing student.
- How autonomous are you when developing:
- Do you like to discuss changes intensively and not start coding until you know what you want to do?
- Do you like to code a proof of concept to 'see how it turns out', modifying that and taking the risk of having work thrown away if it doesn't match what the project or original proponent had in mind?
Y: Your task
- Did you select a task from our list of proposals and ideas?
- If yes, what task did you choose? Please describe what part of it you especially want to focus on if you can already provide this information. Please also wiki-link the page for your elaborated proposal here.
- Please provide a rough estimated timeline for your work on the task. This should include the GSoC midterms and personal commitments like exams or vacation ("non-coding time"). If possible, include two or three milestones you expect.