Online Developer Meeting (2022-07-26)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Date: Tuesday, Jul 26, 2022 @ 18:00 UTC
- Location: https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev
- GSoC progress
- Progress was presented by available mentors. Generally good. Some discussion on openlibm, accepted that negative results are also valuable.
- VM progress?
- Petter presented updates on his VM.
- jwe prefers incorporating that into the default branch of Octave as soon as practical, and let it remain off by default unless the user wants to enable it with a configure switch or a runtime switch
- This would be formed into an API for a generic VM approach to Octave that can be used for other VMs such as the Jitter one, etc
- Octave packages progress update
- Managing diversity of libraries (libm, libc etc)
- See background
- Release process for Octave 7.2:
- About 10 (actual) changes since the last release candidate (about 6 weeks ago). Should we make a second release candidate?
- Not much feedback for the first release candidate. Should we skip making release candidates entirely and directly make releases? Should we announce them more prominently (e.g., on the web page)?
- Octave 7.3 and 8 timeline?
- Octave 7.2
- jwe indicated a release is imminent
- VM updates
- Presentations by mnabipoor and Petter
- Both efforts will move forward
- Need to define VM language
- Fosshost and hosting updates
- Kai presented details of migration and documentation of the migration process
- MinusForge to finally move to Octave Packages with
pkg install -forge
- Timeline to deprecate https://octave.sourceforge.org.
- Kai presented this new mechanism to obtain "pkg install -forge" functionality for GitHub packages in addition to SourceForge, en route to leaving SourceForge
- GSOC status/progress check-in
- Follow up on implementing classdef classes in C++
- jwe presented updates on the classdef functionality.