Online Developer Meeting (2021-12-28)
- Date: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 @ 18:00 UTC
- Location: https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev-2021-12-28
- Meet and greet 5 minutes before meeting (audio testing).
Release process of Octave 7.1
- Any blocking issues?
- Time for a first release candidate?
Update strategy for MXE Octave
defaultbranch was merged to
releasea couple of weeks ago. That was meant to get the CI working after the merge from
stablein the main Octave repository. It was not meant to freeze the branch...
- When should the "actual" merge happen? For the (first?) release candidate? For the final release?
Status of plotting in Octave
- The following items were not discussed. Just some links to progress on those items are displayed.
- Octave 7.1.0 release activities and timeline
- 7.1 Release Checklist
- Merge default to stable now
- No new features anymore (explain on Octave Discourse @jwe?)
- Focus on stabilization
- Bugs to be fixed marked on Savannah with "7.0.90" or "Octave 7" on https://octave.space/savannah/
- Go through "ready for test" list, close as much as possible
- Call for translations
- Approx. final release date (early 2022)
MXE Octave merge strategy
- When should the default branch of MXE Octave be merged to the release branch?
- Around the same time as the merge of the default branch of Octave to its stable branch.
- Which branches should the buildbots use in the pre-release phase? Different for jwe's buildbots and octave.space?
- Keep them running like they are. Evaluate if buildbot failures need action in the transition period before the major release.
UCRT version of Octave?
- Should we distribute an UCRT version of Octave for Windows?
- No big opposition to adding new versions if it doesn't become too many and they add value.
- Probably changes inside Octave necessary as well. Long time project. Maybe for Octave 8 (or later).
- See: Windows, UTF-8, and UCRT - yet another variant of Octave on Windows?
- Octave needs more documentation of release tasks.
- jwe updates Project Infrastructure page.
- Start an Octave Discourse thread about ideas how to ensure project continuity.
Octave 8 ideas
- jwe updated Category:Development#jwe_priorities and clean up outdated JWE Project Ideas.
- jwe wants to work on argument-list syntax.
- rik wants to consistently use
- OpenMP parallelization for trivial cases (e.g. initialize matrix with constant)?
- Ensure thread safeness of Array classes (especially GUI-interpreter communication)
- Maybe based on
std:shared_ptr? But they aren't guaranteed to be thread-safe by design either.
- Other performance improvements: