Online Developer Meeting (2021-05-25)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 @ 18:00 UTC
- Location: https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev-2021-04-27
- Meet and greet 5 minutes before meeting (audio testing).
- 6.3 Release Checklist
- A ABI breaking minor release? https://octave.discourse.group/t/more-frequent-minor-releases/1127?u=siko1056
- The following items were not discussed. Just some links to progress on those items are displayed.
MXE Octave branches
- Which changes should go on which branch?
- "default": everything new
- "release": conservative updates
- Find out how to trigger a build on changes in two repositories?
- Markus added a folder ".github" to the Octave main repo?
- How are the experiences so far? 😉
String class strategy
- Strategy for transition to string class syntax (incompatible to current double-quoted character vectors in Octave)?
- Issue treatment of escape characters (first interpreted when Xprintf is applied).
- Suggestion to implement an initial string class at one point
- Many existing Octave code (packages) might break.
- In the transition time using
- Octave .oct-config files to manage how double quoted strings are treated
- Implement convertStringsToChars and solve issue per function basis (Matlab compatible, probably straight forward, but many changes).
- Initial implementation by Andrew Janke
- Wish to define classdef classes from C++ "nicely" (currently only from m-files comfortable usable).
- This would also help implementing the string class.
General consensus was to stay with C++11 until a "killer application" shows up that rectifies changing to a newer standard.