Online Developer Meeting (2021-04-27)
- Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 @ 18:00 UTC
- Location: https://meet.jit.si/octave-dev-2021-04-27
- Meet and greet 5 minutes before meeting (audio testing).
MXE Octave branches
- Which changes should go on which branch?
- "default": everything new
- "release": conservative updates
- new Octave packages + dependent libraries (if necessary and applicable)
- MXE libraries which have severe bugs / security issues.
- Which branch should the buildbots use?
- Find out how to trigger a build on changes in two repositories?
- Untested idea: https://github.com/gnu-octave/octave-buildbot/pull/9/files
String class strategy
- Strategy for transition to string class syntax (incompatible to current double-quoted character vectors in Octave)?
- Updates: https://octave.discourse.group/t/using-c-17-features/1026
- Allow using more modern C++ dialects (C++17 STL std::filesystem or boost::filesystem)?
- qt6 requires C++17 https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-6.0-released
- gcc 8.x (2018) still not C++17 feature complete (e.g. std::filesystem cannot fully be used, no benefit)
General consensus was to stay with C++11 until a "killer application" shows up that would really changing to a newer standard.
Short introduction: SavannahAPI
Bug Maintenance/Clean Up
- The author of this topic did not attend the meeting. There was a short discussion about GSoC and the Short projects page.
There are already ~1600 open bugs at 1 min/bug this is over 1 day. This is not manageable. Many of these could be closed:
- Are complete because a new version is released #53576
- Can be implemented since there is a new version #50820 notice comments 24 & 25
- Maintainers have the function but have not submitted it #58530
For preparing for GSoC it states to fix bugs, missing functions, etc. The ideal scenario would mean being inundated with fixes, and new functions. A maintained Short projects page would be necessary to avoid comments as in #32088.
What is the best approach to resolving this?
A new wiki pageso one with permission can see all the "easy closes".
- Please reuse the Short projects page for this purpose, which is currently unmaintained.
- Pinging bugs/patches for a status update.
- Yes, always a good idea and this is basically what happens very slowly. It would be great to see more volunteers triaging the bug and patch trackers.
- Consult professional OpenGL developer to review code Any news here?
- General agreement to spend Octave project money on this
Implement Matlabs new input validation
- jwe can create dummy tree-elements
- Problem if values are evaluated, the "right" action must be done
- Can those validation statements come at arbitrary positions or only at the beginning of the file?
Command Window Widget
Backend code improvements
- "Ditch" old UNIX system functions (e.g. popen)
- performance of symbol lookup
std::unordered_map, rather than
std::mapto increase performance (e.g. of interpreter lookups)
- Potentially implement "import" keyword? That would probably slow down symbol lookup some more.
- Replace custom reference counters with implementation using
- Some instances are more difficult to replace. jwe will post something about this on the discourse forum.
- improve HDF5 integration
- Updates: https://octave.discourse.group/t/function-reference-documentation/959/7 and bug #60313
- Split Octave manual https://octave.org/doc/latest into