Online Developer Meeting (2021-03-23)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Meet and greet 5 minutes before meeting (audio testing).
Previous idea collections for Octave 7
- Discourse https://octave.discourse.group/t/goals-for-the-next-release/358
How to make Octave 7 visibly special?
- Implement Matlabs new String-class
- Difficult, but highly demanded.
- Builtin hash-operator
- Distinct feature from Matlab
- Use "new" OpenGL code path
- Nice overview by User:Hg200
- Likely to make plotting faster (more efficient methods to move data to graphics card)
- Does not solve "double precision" problem, scaling must happen on Octave side even with new OpenGL code path
- Consult professional OpenGL developer to review code
- General agreement to spend Octave project money on this
Implement Matlabs new input validation
- jwe can create dummy tree-elements
- Problem if values are evaluated, the "right" action must be done
- Can those validation statements come at arbitrary positions or only at the beginning of the file?
Command Window Widget
- GUI terminal widget, https://octave.discourse.group/t/new-command-window-widget/501 (jwe's patch!)
- Of special interest for MS Windows users
- Unify widget for all OSes
- Make jwe's patch a configurable options for testing (nothing to use productively yet)
- Need to implement own pager (scroll bar)
- Better responsibility delegation between GUI and interpreter
- Big matrix output: interpreter asks GUI to print big matrix, GUI can confirm with user, etc.
- Formatting (colors, URLs, etc.) can be done by the GUI. Interpreter does not know about window-width, etc.
User invisible code improvements
- "Ditch" old UNIX system functions (e.g. popen)
- Move to package?
std::unordered_map, rather than
std::mapto increase interpreter lookups
- symbol resolution slow
std::shared_ptrinstead of custom reference counting
- favor C++ std-library functions over gnulib!
- improve HDF5 integration
- Key to support latest Matlab file formats.
- Some developers very interested in this!
Testing Matlab code
- jwe will a single Discourse thread to ask for tests in Matlab
- Old Discourse threads many maintainers receive notifications.
Octave online service
- Similar to Matlab online
- There are already existing services
- In general Jupyter-Notebook based solutions are already highly developed
- Running an own service lacks of manpower and financial resources
- Split Octave manual https://octave.org/doc/latest into
Ideas for next meeting
- Automatically reschedule the meeting monthly (Kai suggests on Discourse)
- MXE Octave branches and buildbots
- Strategy for transition to string class syntax (incompatible to current double-quoted character vectors in Octave)?
- Next meeting: TBA
- Last meeting: Online Developer Meeting (2020-11-10)