Online Developer Meeting (2020-07-28)
- Meet and greet 5 minutes before meeting (audio testing).
Octave 6 release statusEdit
- We should create a first release candidate (RC) Octave 6.0.90 soon. Base for discussing and working on further bug findings.
- Still hard to fix blocking bugs
- Bug with graphic handles while closing Octave (bug #58814) was reported. This happens when exit is called from a script or when directly calling exit after running the script in the CLI. How to properly handle graphics callbacks during exit?
- 32-bit MS Windows builds
- ode15 with Sundials make problems (bug #58795). Maybe already solved.
- Precision problems failing the test suite (bug #58807). Solvable by requiring SSE2 instructions. Go ahead with it.
- Unreported GUI problems. Done with (bug #58844).
- Are there breaking changes in Octave 6 to inform package maintainers? No, only deprecated functions are now removed.
- Add script to start GDB session from Octave for debugging, see Debugging Octave.
- Changes about the mailing-list advertisements
- Are there sports left where the help mailing-list is advertised, e.g. GUI? Maybe not.
- Get rid of nabble? (Discussion was short here)
Octave 7 ideasEdit
- Range datatype
- Should Octave support numeric operations on them?
- There was a thread on the maintainers mailing-list by jwe. Open discourse thread about it.
- Loading and saving
- Octave load/save supports a bunch of data types (mat v4, text, ascii, ...)
- Deprecate some of them? Open Discourse discussion about it.
- Large array support for Octave's own storage types?
- Storage of nested functions in mat v4 in Matlab possible?
- Focus on the HDF5 format in the future. Matlab prioritizes it too, external tools for viewing the files available.
- Support classdef load/save.
- There was a suggestion to have online code sprints, dedicated to one particular topic, as addition to the online developer meetings.
Ideas for next meetingEdit