Jump to navigation Jump to search
A: An introduction
- My native tongue is Russian, but I speak English also.
- I am studying computer science in university and all my previous work experience connected with it.
- I want to participate in the Google Summer of Code because it gives experience of development not only with a small team, but with whole community, it gives understanding of opensource development instead of usual commercial products. And, of course, it is a chance to learn something new and improve skills.
- The main reasons of my interest in Octave is that I use it in my study, and that is needs not only programming, but math skills too.
- My IRC nick is 'Viers', time zone is UTC+7.
- During my study (for this year it ends only in May) my coding time is flowing between UTC+0 2:00 - 16:00.
- At summer I may code at any time between UTC+0 1:00 - 11:00 - I`ll try to make my worktime suitable for mentor.
E: Coding experience
- I have got a lot of experience with C++ and Qt, it`s my primary programming language. My experience with m-scripts is not so impressive - few functions and nothing really serious.
- I have not any experience in opensource. My biggest team experience was developing Windows version of small webcam software product (ManyCam). There I`ve learned all importance of documentation and comments, how to use Mercurial VCS and interact with a small team. Also, I`ve learned few new things about C++11, Qt and libCURL.
- I`ve just started to learn how Octave (and opensource products at all) developing, so still don`t have any commits and patches.
F: Feeling fine
- I have some experience and may use without any problems IRC, Mercurial, make and gcc.
- I`ve used Redmine Wiki before, but I think, there will be no troubles with Mediawiki.
- Still I may need some help with mailing lists, - that mechanism is pretty new for me.
- If I became really excited with Octave development, that make me actively stay in community better than anything else.
O: Only out of interest
- Yes, I`ve heard about Octave before in University and used it for my practice works.
- All the questions was pretty easy to answer.
- I may use Windows8 or Ubuntu 13.10 OS. Perhaps, Ubuntu will be better for Octave development. Also, I may install any other OS, if necessary.
- For development I`m using my own computer, so I do not think there will be any limits for internet connection or access, or with new software installation.
- As a student, I understand, that criticism is necessary for me to become better, so it will be definitely useful.
- I prefer to define exactly what should I do (even if it is a small part of work), and ask in the end if I understand everything correctly and things I`ve done is exactly what was needed. Between those points I may work totally autonomous. Of course, possibility to ask about troubles in process will be great, but I`m not going to use it really often.
Y: Your task
- I am interested in few tasks, and will be grateful for advise which of them is more important.
- About time:
- May 21 - start developing, finishing studying. Flowing timetable.
- June 1 - start full-time development. There shouldn`t be any problems with exams.
- July 9 - GSoC mid-term. Hope to finish biggest part of job before this point.
- August 13 - GSoC 'pencils down' date.